Tudela Futbol Club LA & Lumina Counseling LA
The partnership of two well-respected Los Angeles nonprofits comes together to support young female athletes’ mental health with the Our Mental Health First initiative.
Tudela FC LA
– building the future of soccer in Los Angeles.
Tudela FC LA is an all-girls soccer club, born out of the experience of being girls’ teams playing within historically boys’ clubs in Los Angeles. It is difficult for girls to receive the same level of training, the same access to facilities, the same attention to their development as boys;. However, things are changing for the better, soccer is still an unequal playing field when it comes to gender.
– building strong futures through leading-edge mental health services.
The Help Group has provided educational and mental health services to children and their families for almost 50 years. THG has a long history of meeting the community’s mental health needs. Lumina Counseling, a program of THG, believes every child deserves a great future. Lumina Counseling is acutely aware of the increased need for quality mental health services, especially for young girls.
Lumina Counseling Services
- Counseling for children, teenagers, and adults
- Family Therapy
- Couples Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Diagnostic testing
- Payment. – Lumina takes most insurance plans, private pay, and have programs through Medi-Cal
Why a Partnership Now?
Our Mental Health First
The Surgeon General recently issued an advisory concerning the urgent need to address the youth mental health crisis. In Los Angeles, 1 in 5 youth have a mental health challenge, and these numbers are rising due to the disruption and trauma of the pandemic. Recently, we have seen the need for service availability for young female athletes emerging in the media due to the unfortunate death of Katie Meyer, the Stanford soccer player, and Naomi Osaka and Simone Biles putting their mental health first during high profile events. Our Mental Health First initiative is an opportunity to reduce the stigma of mental health prevention and treatment in real-time in a soccer club with young girls.
- Accept counseling referrals from the Tudela FC LA community. Provide a special contact for Tudela members to expedite services
- Mental Health Consultation to the Club as needed
- A quarterly mental health webinar for Tudela FC LA staff, parents, and or youth
Tudela FC LA
- Offer and Promote Lumina Counseling services within the Tudela FC LA community